It’s the best of both worlds and an unexpected thing to do with a ball of pizza dough? THAT'S RIGHT, a Calzone!
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- ¾ cup fresh ricotta
- 1 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- All-purpose flour, as needed
- 1 8-ounce ball pizza dough, homemade or purchased
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated (1/2 cup)
- Our hot or sweet Italian Sausage
- 12 slices of Pepperoni (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly oil.
2. Lightly oil skillet and de-case the sausage, cook until browned
3. In a bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, basil, and pepper.
4. Lightly flour the work surface, and stretch or roll the dough into a 10-12-inch circle. Spread ricotta mixture on half the dough and top with cooked meat, leaving a half-inch border all around. Brush the edges of the dough with water and fold the dough in half; pinch the edges of the dough together with a hand or fork to seal closed.
5. Transfer calzone to baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake until crust is firm and golden, this should take no longer than 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving with sauce.